https://cdn.proboxtv.com/uploads/Errol_Spence_vs_Terence_Crawford_ca8eef14a9.jpg

Source: Errol Spence Jr. will likely leave it until the 11th hour to decide whether or not to activate the Terence Crawford rematch clause

Errol Spence Jr. is not expected to activate his contractual right to a rematch with Terence Crawford until the last moment — if, indeed, he even triggers it at all, a source close to the boxer told ProBox TV.

Crawford dropped Spence three times en route to a stunning stoppage win July 29 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, capping one of boxing’s most extraordinary events in the modern era.

Per the deal both fighters committed to, the unsuccessful boxer has 30 days from the date of the event to activate a rematch.

“We gotta do it again,” said Spence on the night, indicating that he wanted the rematch despite the heavy loss.

“I’m going to be a lot better. It’ll be a lot closer,” he added. “It’ll probably be in December and the end of the year. I say we gotta do it again.”

Both fighters seemed to agree at the time that a rematch should take place at super welterweight (154-pounds) rather than welterweight (147-pounds).

It is already mid-August and, as things stand right now, Spence has less than two weeks to activate his right to a second fight with Crawford.

ProBox TV’s source said Spence will take this time to rest, recover, and spend time with his family.

Though the decision may have been made in advance, it won’t likely be made official until the end of the allotted 30-day period.

The Spence-Crawford fight last month was one of the year’s most successful events having generated approximately 675,000 sales at the box office in America.

It also made approximately $21 million in ticket sales.

Valid email address required

Show Password required

Don't have an account? Subscribe