https://cdn.proboxtv.com/uploads/Taylor_Vs_Lopez_1_92339af4e1.jpg

Teofimo Lopez doubles down on retirement, only will return for nine-figure payday

After the biggest win of his career, Teofimo Lopez shocked the world once again, by announcing his retirement from the sport of boxing at 25 years old. As reported on ProBox TV News, Lopez immediately debated his future in the sport after defeating the WBO junior welterweight world champion, Josh Taylor

Lopez, who now sits in a marquee position in the glamor division of junior welterweight seems to have plans he wants to work on without revealing them, yet to the public. 

"I am going to announce my retirement from the sport of boxing," said Teofimo Lopez on ESPN to Max Kellerman on Monday, June 12th. "At the young age of 25-year-young, I believe I am the first male to become a two-time undisputed world champion [in the four belt era]...I have a lot of ideas and I have a lot of things [I want to do in the] sport of boxing, I really can't [do them] if I am always in the gym, training and preparing for another upcoming fight.

Lopez holds the rare feat of being a lineal champion in two different weight classes both lightweight and junior welterweight, with an argument to be made that he was an undisputed champion at both since Josh Taylor, had been the undisputed junior welterweight champion, but lost three of his four titles due to inactivity. In 2020, Teofimo Lopez defeated Vasiliy Lomachenko to capture the four widely recognized world titles in the division, though Devin Haney also held a form of the WBC lightweight world title at that time. 

“Only way you get Teofimo back is a nine-figure contract," said Teofimo Lopez when on The Porter Way podcast. "I've made ESPN over $100 million and getting paid $1 million. Fighters that have not even done a quarter of what I've accomplished get $15m.”

Valid email address required

Show Password required

Don't have an account? Subscribe