Katie Taylor claims redemption against Chantelle Cameron in Dublin, calls for trilogy at Croke Park

Tonight saw Katie Taylor claim redemption over rival Chantelle Cameron after a barnburner of contest at the 3Arena in Dublin. 

The Irish superstar lost a majority decision to Cameron in May on Ireland’s return to professional boxing after a hiatus since 2016.

The first round began quickly, Cameron landed a left in the opening 30 seconds but Taylor looked snappy in the opening two minutes. She did hit the canvas with 40 seconds to spare, but the referee ruled it a slip although it appeared legitimate. 

Taylor landed a right hand at the beginning of the second that brought a roar from the Irish crowd. Cameron countered seconds later with her own attack as she half landed a combination. The two women went at until the bell and beyond, both continuing to throw shots after time had been called on the round. 

Thirty seconds into round three saw Cameron land a body shot, Taylor aggressively fired back with a multiple shot combination. Both were tied up towards the end of the round, the referee was choosing to let them fight it out to the benefit of those watching. Another ferocious round saw Cameron receive a cut to the forehead. 

Taylor began the fourth with a ramrod left jab. Cameron attempted to cut off the ring, but Taylor fought her way out of trouble. Cameron’s was landing consistently in this round, with Taylor opting for fiery aggrieve combinations. Taylor was clearly in no mood box and move, she clearly wanted to bully the Englishwoman, it appeared to be working by the end of the round. 

Taylor began the fifth round strong, landing three good shots to the head in the first half of the round. However, Cameron would not be deterred, who again cut off the ring to put Taylor in another dangerous position. 

Taylor came out on top during two exchanges in the opening 20 seconds, but Cameron soon got to work on the inside landing uppercuts to the body. Taylor would land two more accurate shots to the head during the next minute. The pair of undisputed champions again traded before the bell, Taylor was looking the stronger. Cameron’s cut on the forehead appeared to be affecting her game plan. 

In the seventh round Taylor again started the quicker landing her right left combination early. Midday thought the round Taylor landed a left to the body followed by a right hand to the head of Cameron. Cameron would finish the round strong regardless, arguably coming out on top of the round's final collision. 

The eighth was as scrappy as can be. Both women were chest to chest for almost the entirety of the two minutes. Cameron landed multiple uppercuts on the inside with Taylor having success with the overhand right under pressure. 

The ninth round began with Taylor attempting to get back behind her jab but the fight followed the same theme. It was another round filled with valence as neither lady would budge, they were going head-to-head in the most violent way.

The tenth and final round began with landing a hook less than a second before Cameron let her own right hand fly. The two again exchanged with both having success. The remainder of the round saw non-stop action as the two both sat in the pocket and fought until the final bell in a worthy candidate for Fight of the Year. 

The scorecards read: 95-95 a draw, 98-92 and 96-94 in favour of Taylor for her to claim the undisputed title at 140 pounds.

“Let's get the trilogy at Croke Park.” Taylor said in the DAZN post fight interview. Her promoter Eddie Hearn added, “Croke park has to happen.”

Taylor’s record improves to 23-1 (6 KOs), with Cameron’s record moving to 18-1 (8 KOs) receiving a first career defeat in Dublin.