McGregor-Robles undercard results, Edinburgh

Isaac Lowe kicked off the televised action of Lee McGregor’s IBO world super-featherweight title attempt versus Erik Robles, with a comprehensive win over Jonathan Santana. 

Lowe (22-2-3) started the opening half of the fight on the front foot with no regard and respect for Santana and was more than willing to throw and land with Santana with Low possessing a large size advantage in comparison to the Spanish opponent.

Santana started to waiver and began to become unstuck against Lowe such was the constant pressure coming from the Morecombe-based Lowe. 

Lowe would ultimately trap and then deliver a straight right hand through the guard of Santana who was pinned against the ropes following another onslaught with little response. Santana would drop to the canvas following the right hand and despite attempting to rise to his feet, Referee Kenny Pringle would wave off the contest immediately and not even proceed a count. 

Ben Andrew made his professional debut and opened up his professional career with a win despite suffering a flash knockdown in the third round of a scheduled four rounds. 

Despite a confident and comfortable opening two frames from the former national GB amateur champion, Andrews, dropped to the canvas following a right-handed counter from Sharp. Andrews would re-group and see out the remainder of the contest to secure a s scorecard of 38-37 in a performance which provided food for thought. 

Heavyweight Bohdan Myronests (6-1) would prove that records don't particularly matter in the world of boxing by comfortably beating current IBF European champion, Kash Ali (21-2), comfortably over six rounds. 

Myronets would be too nimble and athletic in comparison to Ali, who looked lethargic and sub-par to what had been expected. Myronets would claim a very comfortable and deserved winning margin claiming a score of 59-55 over the scheduled distance.

The most intriguing encounter on the undercard featured unbeaten super-featherweights Sultan Zaurbek (14-0) and John Carter (15-0-1) who were slated to fight over ten-scheduled rounds. 

Zaurbek started the opening round very comfortably behind the jab happy to work himself into the fight as Carter was happy to block punches on the gloves. The tempo would increase along with the intent of Zaurbek who was starting to close the distance with his feet and able to land in range with a lead right-uppercut on the inside along with a number of snapping hooks to the rib cage of Carter. Carter would attempt to fire back late in the round but was countered effectively within the remaining ten seconds of the round from a check-left hook from Zaurbek. 

Zaurbek was able to cut the right eye of Carter following a long-left hook early in the third round which ultimately Carter was unable to recover from as Zaurbek capitalised on his opponent’s troubled state with his right eye. Ultimately, Zaurbek would claim an early night following an attack in the corner of Carter following a number of heavy combinations. Referee, Kevin Mcintyre immediately waved the contest off at an official time of 2:19 of the third round. 

Previously unbeaten heavyweight Matty Harris suffered the maiden defeat of his career against Kostyantin Dovbyshchenko in five rounds despite Harris scoring a knockdown himself in the third round. Harris fatigued after the third round of which his Ukranian opponent took full advantage of to maximum effect. The official time of the stoppage came at 2:57 in the round following an unanswered combination of punches for the Ukranian in final 15 seconds. 

The chief support saw Harlem Eubank defeat Ishmael Ellis as the Adam Booth-trained 140lb contender continued his pursuit towards domestic titles with an impressive and dominating showing. 

The opening round saw Eubank start confidently with a fast start behind the jab and moving in and out of range on multiple occasions followed by some fast combinations. Ellis when trying to react was smartly tied up by Harlem negating the work of the Birmingham-based super-lightweight

The second round was a messy and scrappy affair with both men falling to the canvas following a tangling of feet in a round which still saw Harlem on the front and engaging in the action first. Harlem would start the third strong with a strong lead right hook wobbling Ellis and would repeat the success at the midway point of the round with Ellis trapped on the ropes. The remainder of the third became a scrappy affair with Ellis being warned by the referee for clinching and wrestling in the clinches. 

Round four saw Eubank able to create the space and angles needed for him to avoid Ellis’s spoiling tactics and was able to land clean with a number of right hands with Ellis still more than happy to rotate around the ring with his back against the ropes. The fifth followed virtually the same pattern with Ellis refusing to engage and allowing Eubank to work and take the initiative in the proceedings. 

Harlem would finally break the resistance of Ellis by landing a vicious right hook to the body and then head in the sixth right on the bells which Ellis gingerly rose to his feet. Harlem would secure the stoppage in the seventh round where Ellis was pummelled into the corner from a barrage from Eubank to the body and head. Jon Pegg, the trainer of Ellis decided at that point to withdraw his fighter from the contest with an official time of stoppage record at 1:30 of the seventh round.