Vasyl Lomachenko has gone quiet since his defeat to Devin Haney this past May.
The former three weight world champion won on many people’s scorecards when he collided with Haney for the undisputed lightweight world title in Las Vegas, losing by a narrow unanimous decision.
Promoter Bob Arum told Ukrainian outlet LuckyPunch that Lomachenko was “likely” to face George Kambosos Jr. for what is expected to be a vacant IBF world title if the pair meet early next year in Australia.
However, when ProBox TV spoke with manager Egis Klimas yesterday in London, he was not so forthcoming on the subject.
“Ahhh, a lot of people are talking and you can’t stop them from talking.” Klimas said when asked if Lomachenko would in-fact face Kambosos early next year. “There is nothing confirmed, just people talking.”
There had been fears from Lomachenko fans and stories in Ukrainian media of the two time Olympic gold medalist retiring at 35 years old.
“He never mentioned he was going to retire.” Klimas added. “He just said that he needs to take a little bit of a break until the end of the year. He will be back, definitely.”
Haney currently holds the IBF title at 135 pounds along with the WBA and WBO, but has been made a champion in recess by the WBC. He makes the long expected move up to 140 pounds when he takes on Regis Prograis for the WBC title at light welterweight in San Francisco on December 9. The lightweight division awaits Haney’s impending decision to move up a weight class for good.