Gilley wins Commonwealth title, Laws defeats Hennessy Jr and stoppage win for Artingstall

Karriss Artingstall continued her unbeaten start as a professional fighter and secured her first stoppage as a professional with a second-round victory over Vanessa Bradford at the York Hall in Bethnal Green, London,

Atringstall (4-0) and Bradford (7-4-2) were opening the Boxxer promotion between cruiserweights Mikael Lawal and Isaac Chamberlin, following a switch of venue following the postponement of the original headline affair between light heavyweights Joshua Buatsi and Dan Azeez, which had been due to be held at the O2 Arena, London.

Ultimately, Lawal-Chamberlin and the rest of the undercard were able to proceed following Boxxer’s decision to move with the rest of the bill at York Hall.

Featherweight Artingstall produced the strongest showing of her career to date against Bradford, scoring two knockdowns in the process.

The first knockdown came within the first minute of the opening round of a scheduled eight courtesy of a long straight left-hand sending Bradford to the canvas. Artingstall would proceed the remainder of the round behind her jab with differing variations to head and body.

Round two was more of the same, a straight, long left hand landing flush on Bradford from Artingstall. The knockdown was heavier in comparison to the first in the opening round, which saw Artingstall push the action further and faced relatively little in return in punches from Bradford.

Artinstall would be declared the victor following the completion of two rounds as Bradford’s trainer proceeded to withdraw the Canadian from the contest.

Following up, Joe Laws, on twelve ways notice, would upset the odds and defeat Michael Hennessy Jr over eight rounds in the super-middleweight division.

Laws is more well known for his antics and persona than his boxing ability, re-booted his career with a career-best win over the highly touted Hennessy.

In a contrast of styles, Laws, who was throwing bombs in comparison to the tippy-tappy textbook shots of Hennessy, was arguably behind after three rounds, with Hennessy looking comfortable and at ease.

However, come the half-way point, Hennessy had fatigued and gave Laws the emphasis to plough forward into the action following a competitive opening four rounds between the fighters.

Fighting often in spurts, the more eye-catching shots came from Laws, who was having to time assaults to perfection due to his lack of conditioning and boxing far above the welterweight limit where he made his name.

Following the completion of the scheduled eight rounds, referee Bob Williams scored the contest 77-75 in favour of the Geordie native Laws.

Laws extended his record to fourteen wins against two defeats, while Hennessy Jr dropped to eleven wins, two losses against one sole draw.

In the chief-support, Sam Gilley dethroned Louis Greene to claim the Commonwealth super-welterweight title with a unanimous decision points win.

The contest was an entertaining thriller with the contest fought at close quarters with each fighter having varying success in a contest which ebbed and flowed in entertainment and action.

Greene would start the contest in good fashion by wobbling Gilley at the end of the first round courtesy of a left hook. Green would continue into the second round the momentum.

Gilley would edge his way back into the third by finding his range and able to counter Greene, who was looking to capitalise on his prior success.

The telling moment of the contest came in the fifth round as Gilley dropped Greene with a left hook to the body late in the round. Gilley would build on that success in the competitive rounds through ten. However, Gilley was landing the more eye-catching shots, particularly to the body, which were getting a visible reaction from Greene.

Greene would finish the contest and having arguably the most decisive period of the fight in rounds eleven and twelve with some left-hand bombs landing flush on Gilley, who stood firm from the onslaught from Greene despite being troubled in previous rounds.

After twelve rounds, Gilley was the man with his hands raised after being awarded a unanimous decision to be crowned Commonwealth champion with scores of 116-111, 118-110, 117-110.