News Feed Big Fights News Promoter News Top Rank Artur Beterbiev Callum Smith Trending and Latest News
Light heavyweight fighter Artur Beterbiev won’t resume training for another two months, his promoter Bob Arum, the founder and CEO of Top Rank, told ProBox TV last week. Beterbiev was scheduled to defend his WBC, WBO, and IBF world titles on August 19 against the former World Boxing Super Series champion Callum Smith. However, organizers postponed the fight last week as Beterbiev suffered an injury — a bone infection that required surgery. It now takes place five months later on January 13 in Quebec City in Canada. Arum explained to us why the fight could not be rearranged sooner. > “He has an infection of the jaw. He’s not going to be able to train for at least six weeks to two months.” To accommodate this, together with a full training camp, “the earliest possible date was January,” Arum said. The 38-year-old Beterbiev is revered as one of boxing’s great finishers with a flawless unbeaten record of 19 knockouts from 19 wins through his pro career to date. His most impressive wins include knockouts struck against Oleksandr Gvozdyk, Joe Smith Jr., and Anthony Yarde. Victory over Smith at the start of 2024 will put Beterbiev one step closer to an undisputed championship bout at 175-pounds against Dmitri Bivol — one of the highest quality bouts boxing can offer.