Boxing is a tough business, just ask previously unbeaten Sebastian Fundora. Fundora was a healthy favorite going into last Saturday’s main event fight against Brian Mendoza , of a Showtime telecast and after a seventh knockout loss to Brian Mendoza, now people are asking questions of the former secondary champion in the junior middleweight division.
After the fight, Fundora spoke about one of the worst moments in his career, as Fundora vowed to be undeterred by the result.
Fundora, who was in line to face the winner of Jermell Charlo versus Tim Tszyu for the undisputed junior middleweight world title, now will have to rebuild. That said, Tszyu was set to face Charlo in January, but an injury would postpone that fight, now it appears Tszyu will return in June with Charlo not being his opponent. So when one champion, holds all four world titles, and isn’t all that active - it tends to hold up the division, which is the spot, Fundora was in prior to this fight.
“I’m not sorry I took this fight, this is boxing,” said Fundora in reflection. “We got to fight and we have to make these good fights. Congratulations to Brian Mendoza, he did his thing, but like I said, I’ll be back.”
His opponent, the man who has now pulled off back-to-back upset knockout wins, Brian Mendoza, looks to be making a charge at the big fights, big money and even awards in 2023. Mendoza went from a man who an undefined future in the sport of boxing to a potential top-five fighter in his division.
Mendoza said at the post-fight press conference. “I wasn’t supposed to be here. I wasn’t supposed to make it this far,” Mendoza said when speaking to the media at the post-fight press conference. “The time to beat me was back then, the old Brian. This is a new monster you see in front of you.”