LOS ANGELES — Alexis Rocha and Giovani Santillan both made weight Friday, at the fighter hotel in Los Angeles, ahead of their Saturday showdown at the Kia Forum in Inglewood.
Golden Boy Promotions boxer Rocha stepped on the scales to record a pre-fight weight of 147-pounds while Top Rank's Santillan registered a slightly lower weight at 146.6-pounds.
"We're two Southern California boxers, that's why we ran into each other," Santillan told Golden Boy earlier this week, regarding a fight that, for the fighters, always seemed inevitable. "I always knew in the back of my head that it's a fight that could happen some day."
Rocha and Santillan will compete in the main event of a Golden Boy show this weekend which could help usher in a new era at welterweight, as undisputed champion Terence Crawford remains linked with a rematch against the former unified champion Errol Spence Jr. at super welterweight, rather than 147.
Should those bigger name boxers remain at 154 or above then it leaves fighters like the Rocha-Santillan winner, Vergil Ortiz, and Jaron Ennis to compete for a new role as the division's ruler.
- John 'Scrappy' Ramirez weighed 115-pounds while his opponent Ronal Batista recorded a weight of 114.2-pounds
- Ricardo Sandoval weighed 111.8-pounds and his opponent Victor Sandoval weighed 111.2-pounds
- Arely Mucino weighed 111.8-pounds and Gabriela Fundora weighed 110.8-pounds
- Iyana Verduzco weighed 132.8-pounds and Clarice Morales weighed 132.2-pounds
- Fabian Guzman weighed 154.2-pounds and Rueben Johnson weighed 154-pounds
Doors at the Forum open at 3 p.m. local time (PT). The show airs on DAZN.